Bradley County was established on February 10, 1836, and was named to honor Colonel Edward Bradley who served in the War of 1812. On May 2, 1836, the location for the county seat of Cleveland was chosen. On January 20, 1838, Cleveland, which at that time, had a population of 400, was formally recognized by the state legislature as the seat of Bradley County. Cleveland was incorporated on February 2, 1842. The county today has a population count of 106,727 residents to go along with a total area of 331 square miles.