Butler County was formed on March 24, 1803, from portions of Hamilton coutny. It is named after former General Richard Butler. After the county was established, it was between 1803 and 1823 that townships of the county became officially recognized. Also according to history, large portions of the county were held by non residential owners, more famoulsy, 640 acres of land was owned by future president, William H Harrison. The total area of the county today is 470 sqaure miles with a population count of 383,134 residents.