The Indiana Legislature mandated Clay County in 1825, with territory partitioned from Owen, Putnam, Sullivan, and Vigo counties. Its name honors Henry Clay who was a famous American statesman. The first Courthouse for the county was built in 1828 and it was a two-story structure of hand-hewn logs. Once the population staerted to increase by the late 1830’s, a second courthouse was built and served the county until it was destroyed by fire on Novmeber 30, 1851. With a population count of 26,170 residents, the county also has a total area of 360 sqaure miles.