Hamilton County was formed on October 25, 1819, from portions of Rhea County and Cherokee land. It was named after Alexander Hamilton who was an officer in the American Revolutionary War, a member of the Continental Congress, the first US Secretary of Treasury, and one of the founding fathers of the United States. The area was originally occupied by the Cherokee Nation under the leadership of John Ross. What is now known as Chattanooga was formerly Ross’s Landing, a busy trading post recognized as the center of the Cherokee Nation. The county has a total area of 576 square miles and a population count of 367,804 residents.
Originally brought in by the Treaty of St Mary’s in 1818, was not made into its own independent county until a legislature was passed in April of 1823. The county was later named after Alexander Hamilton who was the first U.S. Secretary of Treasury. The first courthouse for the county was at the home of one of the first settlers, William Conner. With the county having a total area of 402 square miles, it also has a population count of 338,011 residents.
Hamilton County was organized in 1790 by order of Arthur St. Clair, governor of the Northwest Territory, as the second county in the Northwest Territory. Cincinnati is the county seat. Residents named the county in honor of Alexander Hamilton, who was the first Secretary of the Treasury of the United States and a founder of the Federalist Party. Hamilton County is infamously known as the “Queen City” or “Paris of America.” With a total area of 413 sqaure miles, it has a population count of a whopping 817,473 residents calling it home.