Oldham County was established on December 15, 1823, from parts of Henry, Jefferson, and Shelby Counties. It then became the 74th Kentucky county and was named in honor of Col. William Oldham who was a resident of Jefferson County and a Revolutionary War officer. Upon the county’s establishment, it was mainly a small rural county that contained small and scattered developments in areas like Westport (which served as the original county seat). It wasn’t until the 1850s, with the rail lines from the Louisville and Frankfort railroad company’s that new towns began to rise. At a total area of 196 square miles, over 60,000 residents call the county home.