Washington County is Tennessee’s oldest county, having been established in 1777 when the state was still part of North Carolina. When the county was established, it was originally part of the Washington District, which is now all of Tennessee. Washington County was named after the first U.S. President, George Washington. The county has a total area of 330 square miles and a population count of 129,375 residents.
In February of 1814, territory legislature officials from Harrison and Clark counties had selected an uninhabited site near the center of the southern part of the state, naming it Washington County. In the territorial act creating the county, it was named after the first U.S. President George Washington who had died fourteen years prior. With a total area of 517 square miles, it has a population count of just under 28,000 residents.
Washington County was established in 1792 from land taken from Nelson County. It was the first county created by the Commonwealth of Kentucky after its separation from Virginia. The Washington County Courthouse was completed in 1816, is the oldest courthouse still in use in Kentucky. The county is named after the first president of the United States, George Washington. With the county having a total area of 301 square miles, it also has a population count of 11,717 residents.