Lawrence County was formed in 1818 by subdividing Orange County. The English name refers to Captain James Lawrence who uttered the famous words “Don’t give up the ship.” after being mortally wounded during the War of 1812. Though the county was organized in 1818, it wasnt until 1825 when a businessman by the name of Joseph Rawlins who was from Bedford County, VA. The county has a total area of 452 sqaure miles along with a population count of 45,668 reesidents.
The county was created in 1815 and later organized in 1817. It is named after James Lawrence, the naval officer who is famous for his dying battle cry “Do not give up the ship”. On December 20, 1816, parts of Gallia and Scioto counties were used to form the county and the county seat was originally named Burlington with it later being changed to Ironton. With a total area of 457 square miles, it has a population count of 62,450 residents.
Lawrence County was established in 1821 from land given by Floyd and Greenup Counties. Four courthouses have served Lawrence County with the first being completed in 1823. The county is named after former naval officer James Lawrence and co-founded by Isaac Bolt, who served as a Lawrence County Commissioner and Justice of the Peace. Lawrence (which who the county is named after) is known for his dying battle cry on the USS Chesapeake, “Don’t give up the ship!” The county has a total area of 420 square miles (which was equivalent to 1,100 km sqaure) and has a population count of 15,860.