Anderson County was partitioned from portions of Grainger, Knox, Roane and, Anderson in 1801. Roane county was also made from portion of Knox County effectively making Anderson and Roane sister counties. Anderson County was named in honor of Joseph Anderson who lived from 1757 to 1847. He was at that time a U.S. senator from Tennessee and his career also included a judge of the Superior Court of the Territory South of the River Ohio and Comptroller of the U.S. Treasury. The county has a total area of 345 sqaure miles with a population count of almost 77,000 residents.
The county was created in 1807 when citizens of Rutherford County were living south of both the Duck River and the Stones River. The county was later named after land owner and American Revolutionary War officer, Thomas Bedford. The couty was once the state’s largest and most populated county, that is until the formation of Coffee, Moore Lincoln and, Marshall counties. Therefore, the county today has a total area of 475 square miles with a population count of 49,713 residents.
Bledsoe County was formed in 1807 from land that was formerly Indian Land as well as land carved from Roane County. The county was named for Anthony Bledsoe who lived from 1739 to 1788. He was also a soldier in the Revolutionary War and was an early settler of Sumner County. He was killed in an Indian attack at Bledsoe’s Station. The county has a total area of 407 square miles with a population count of 14,775 residents.
On July 11, 1795, Blount County became the tenth county established in Tennessee when the Territorial Legislature voted to split adjacent Knox and Jefferson counties. The new county was named for the governor of the Southwest Territory, William Blount, and its county seat, Maryville, was named for his wife Mary Grainger Blount. Before its establishment, the county was first ruled by the Cherokee Tribe due to the first arrival of European settlers in the late 18th century. Today the county has a total area of 567 square miles with a population count of 133,088residents.
Bradley County was established on February 10, 1836, and was named to honor Colonel Edward Bradley who served in the War of 1812. On May 2, 1836, the location for the county seat of Cleveland was chosen. On January 20, 1838, Cleveland, which at that time, had a population of 400, was formally recognized by the state legislature as the seat of Bradley County. Cleveland was incorporated on February 2, 1842. The county today has a population count of 106,727 residents to go along with a total area of 331 square miles.
Campbell County was formed in 1806 from parts of Anderson and Claiborne counties. It was named in honor of Colonel Arthur Campbell who lived from 1743 to 1811. He was a member of the Virginia House of Burgesses and an officer during the American Revolutionary War. The county has a total area of 498 square miles with a population count of 39,583 residents.
Cannon County was established by the Tennessee state legislature on January 31, 1836. It was formed from portions of Rutherford, Smith, Wilson, and Warren counties and was named for Governor Newton Cannon. This is part of the Middle Tennessee region, with mixed farming and livestock raising, including thoroughbred horses. The county has a total area of 266 square miles and it has a total population count of 14,678 residents.
The county was established by the Tennessee General Assembly on November 7, 1821, and was named for Governor William Carroll. The county is home to many protected areas such as the Harts Mill Wetland Management Area, the Jarrell Switch Refuge, and the Natchez Trace State Park. The county has a total area of 600 square miles with a population count of 28,020 residents.
The area was originally claimed by Britain as part of the Clarendon settlements of the Province of Carolina, although actually populated at the time by the Cherokee. The county was founded in 1796. Landon Carter is who the county is named after, he was a General, the son of Virginia native John Carter. The area was part of the New Hanover Precint from 1729 to 1734. It was also part of Balden County from 1734 to 1749, Anson County from 1749 to 1753 and Rowan County from 1753 to 1775. The county today has a total area of 348 square miles with a population count of 56,351 residents.
Cheatham County was created by an Act of the Tennessee General Assembly in 1856, from lands formerly of Davidson, Dickson, Montgomery, and Robertson counties. Cheatham County was named for Edward Saunders Cheatham who was a state legislator. The county was bisected from its northwest region to its southeast region by the Cumberland River. Cheatham County to popular country hip-hop artist Ryan Upchurch. The county has a total area of 307 square miles with a population count of 40,667 residents.